As a certified reflexologist, I see feet almost every day. Some nice looking and functioning well and some that need a lot of TLC. Because I have a geeky brain, I like to know the mechanics about how everything works including feet.
Very few of us appreciate our feet until they start to hurt. I have seen my share of clients coming for reflexology services to find relief from fallen arches, painful bunions, poor circulation, plantar fasciitis and overworked and tired feet.
Many times the pain can be avoided if they wear proper footwear and not being on their feet for hours. I frown at people who love their pretty little shoes that don’t have Any foot support. I also see a lot of ill-fitting shoes, and shoes that should have been disposed of a long time ago.
My reflexology colleague, Bill Flocco, of the American Academy of Reflexology in California, has compiled another list of interesting facts (this will make 30 facts out of 40) about feet. Lets see how many of them you know.
Did you know –
- The outer edge of the foot is called the Lateral Surface.
- The inner edge of the foot, is called the Medial Surface.
- Toenails are, structurally, modified hairs made of a tough protective protein.
- The rate at which nails grow depends on several factors: like age, sex, diet, and exercise; it is known that fingernails grow faster than toenails.
- Toenails grow faster in hot weather,
- Toenails also grow more rapidly during pregnancy, and in children before puberty.
- To grow an entirely new toenail requires at least five to six months.
- There are more sweat glands per square inch in the soles of your feet than any other part of your body.
- Approximately 250,000 sweat glands in your feet, combined, can release about 8 ounces (one cup) of moisture each day.
- Bacteria in the sweat, not the sweat itself, cause most of the smell in smelly feet.
If you get all 10 facts right then you are a superstar. If you get less, I’ll just call you a star.
About the reflexologist – Helen Chin Lui is a therapeutic certified Reflexologist, certified Energy Medicine and Reiki practitioner. She is the owner of the Healing Place in Medfield, MA. She specializes in helping clients with chronic digestive disorders and chronic pain. If you like a free copy of “Proven Alternative Ways to Heal Common Chronic Digestive Problems: What Your Doctor Doesn’t Know Can Keep You From Healing,” please visit www.healingplacemedfield.com and sign up for our newsletter. As a bonus you will receive health tips, products and services.
To learn how Reflexology, chakra balancing or energy medicine can help you, email us at Healing Place or call us at 508 359-6463 to schedule a FREE consultation.