This is a Hungry Girl recipe (for those who are familiar with Hungry Girl.) This is a low calorie, low fat, and extra yummy recipe. I also like spicy foods and blue cheese (what’s not to like?)
If I have the time I like to cook my recipe on my stove top. This reduces the cooking time to one hour and for more favor, I use one pound of boneless chicken thighs instead of chicken breast.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: in a crock pot 3-4 hours on high, 7-8 hours on low
- 1 1/2 lb. raw boneless skinless chicken breasts, halved
- 1/4 tsp. each salt and black pepper
- 2 cups low-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- Two 15.5-oz. cans cannellini (white kidney) beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups peeled and chopped carrots
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 tsp. chopped garlic
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/3 cup plus 2 1/2 tsp. Frank’s RedHot Original Cayenne Pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp. crumbled blue cheese
- Optional seasonings: additional salt and black pepper
Season chicken with salt and pepper, and place in a crock pot. Add all remaining ingredients except hot sauce and blue cheese. Gently stir.
Cover and cook on high for 3 – 4 hours or on low for 7 – 8 hours, until chicken is fully cooked.
Remove chicken and place in a large bowl. Shred with two forks — one to hold the chicken in place and the other to scrape across and shred it. Add 1/3 cup hot sauce to chicken, and toss to coat. Stir saucy chicken into the chili in the crock pot.
Top each serving with 1/4 tsp. hot sauce and 1 tbsp. blue cheese crumbles. Enjoy!
Makes 10 servings
1/10th of recipe (1 heaping cup): 207 calories, 3.5g fat, 772mg sodium, 20g carbs, 6g fiber, 4g sugars, 23g protein
The Healing Place Medfield offers FREE 60 minute consultation. Pick up the phone now and call 508 359-6463.