Neuropathy and Numbness Relief – Hand Reflexology Tip
A reader asked me what he can do about numbness in his body due to Neuropathy. What is neuropathy? It is a disease or dysfunction of the peripheral nerves that can cause numbness of weakness, in most cases, in the hands and feet.
Types of Neuropathy
Neuropathy can be caused by diabetes, chemo-induced, hereditary, inflammatory infections, auto-immune diseases, protein abnormalities, exposure to toxic chemicals, kidney failure, medications, and chronic alcoholism.
Some signs of symptoms of peripheral neuropathy
Every nerve in your peripheral system has a specific function, so symptoms depend on the type of nerves that are affected. There are three classifications of nerves
- Sensory Nerves – receive and register sensation, pain, touch
- Motor nerves – controls muscle movement
- Autonomic nerves – control body function such as blood pressure, digestion, and bladder
Please check with your doctor if you have any of the following
- Gradual numbness, prickling, or tingling in the hands and feet, which can spread to your arms and legs
- Sharp, jabbing, throbbing or burning pain
- Extreme sensitivity to touch
What can you do to alleviate the pain of peripheral neuropathy without medication?
According to the Mayo Clinic staff, there are six lifestyle and home remedies you can use to manage peripheral neuropathy. These are:
1. Take care of your feet by wearing soft cotton socks and padded shoes
2. Exercise to help control blood sugar levels
3. Quit smoking to improve blood circulation
4. Eat healthy meals to maximize your intake of vitamins, minerals, low-fat meats, dairy products, whole grains, and fruits.
5. Avoid prolonged pressure by make a conscious effort to not cross your legs or lean on your elbows.
6. Massage or Reflexology your hands and feet, Massage and Reflexology help improve circulation, stimulates nerves, and temporarily relieve pain (reflexology) (cited in Mayo Clinic Staff. “Lifestyle and Home Remedies.” Peripheral Neuropathy. 3 Nov. 2009.)
How does Reflexology support peripheral nerves
Foot Reflexology therapy helps by improving blood circulation and by relaxing the muscles in the feet and hands to open up pinched nerve endings that can cause pain.
Neuropathy and numbness Relief – Hand Reflexology Tip
Here is a Hand reflexology demonstration to help to increase circulation and sensation to your hands and feet with Certified Reflexologist Helen Chin Lui
About the writer
Helen Chin Lui is a Certified Reflexologist, Certified Energy Medicine and Chakra Balancing Practitioner, Reiki Master and Teacher. Helen is the owner of the Healing Place LLC and the Healing Place Energy School LLC in Medfield, Massachusetts, USA. She specializes in helping adults to find long-term relief from chronic pain, chronic digestive problems, and balances hormones naturally.
Schedule a free consultation
If you are interested in how Reflexology and Reiki can help you to alleviate chronic pain, digestive pain, and balance hormones naturally, please schedule a FREE consultation online or call 508 359-6463 or by going online on our website to schedule a free consultation.
Our free Gift to You
For the Healing Place Medfield’s free report “Proven Alternative Ways to Heal Common Chronic Digestive Problems: What Your Doctor Doesn’t Know Can Keep You From Healing” click here