How many times have you eaten a quick breakfast before you rush out the door, only to feel your stomach growling an hour or two later? Traditional breakfast foods such as pancakes, cereal, and toast provide quick fuel instead of the sustained energy needed to keep you going until lunch.
Eating more protein and fats while limiting carbs goes a long way towards sharpening your focus and getting your day started on the right foot. Pair carbs with fiber to help slow down the release of glucose into your system, which will power your body for the long haul. Here are some ideas.
• Have an egg or two. Eggs provide protein, vitamins, and minerals. Avocado slices, salsa, and/or cheese make great accompaniments.
• Whip up a smoothie in your blender with berries and your liquid of choice: milk, water, almond milk, or coconut water. Add flaxseed, chia seeds, hemp seeds, avocado, protein powder, and/or nut butter for that protein and fiber boost. You can also add a handful of a mild green, such as spinach, to get the benefits of greens without tasting them.
• Try some plain full-fat yogurt or Greek yogurt with fruit, seeds of your choice, and honey or maple syrup to taste. Very tasty and satisfying!
• Spread your whole-grain toast with peanut butter and top with slices of fruit, such as banana or strawberry. Or spread your toast with coconut oil, top with mashed avocado, a squirt of lemon juice, and a dash of sea salt.
• If you like juice, have just a 4 to 6 ounce glass as its high sugar content raises your blood sugar quickly, or stick with water, tea, or coffee.
A great breakfast won’t eliminate that traffic jam or that demanding customer, but the energy it provides helps you handle whatever the morning brings.
About the writer – Renee Adamson – Renee is a mom of two who believes in the healing powers of food. She is pursuing her certification in integrative nutrition.
For the Healing Place Medfield’s free report “Proven Alternative Ways to Heal Common Chronic Digestive Problems: What Your Doctor Doesn’t Know Can Keep You From Healing” click here.